You know that moment in the creative process when you have all the tools necessary to succeed and then you realize this means you no longer have reasons for failure? This is the “Oh Shit” moment I arrived at after I settled into bed thrilled at having accomplished the final steps in creating my jewelry shop.
For months since finishing classes my Dad and I have been working on building a studio in a small room in our basement. I cleaned the room out and had two good friends build a jeweler’s bench. Dad began to measure and design a workbench for the rest of my tools. Then we shopped and sawed and hammered and screwed and glued our way slowly to a kind of sort of finished studio. In our way was Christmas, me only being able to use one arm as I damaged the nerve in my right elbow while cleaning out the basement room and have been in and out of a sling ever since, and my dad having some health issues.
Today a good friend came over to help me fill my tanks and test my torch and he stayed to help my dad finish the studio. We all worked many, many, hours and finally, around 7:00 p.m. we finished. I final carriage bolt went through the final bracket mounting the final tool to the workbenches. I swept everything clean and got all my stuff put away. The end result:
Then I brewed a cup of tea and settled in to watch The Beginning of Everything and I realized with a start that I could get up tomorrow and start making jewelry. Suddenly I realized:
No more reasons not to succeed! It’s time to make something real out of this idea. It feels like writing used to, staring at the blank white page and wondering weather you ever actually knew any words or if you have simply been uttering gibberish for your entire life.
Making dreams reality is scary stuff.
My high school choir Director, a brilliant artist and loving man, posted this on his Facebook page yesterday:
“Those who study authoritarian regimes suggest keeping a list of abnormal events after a demagogue is elected, as a way to remind yourself that this isn’t normal and to keep from being overwhelmed into acceptance by the onslaught of attacks on our rights.
Here is a list below. We are 4 days in. As one author says, “when you see all of this in one list, it is easy to get overwhelmed, at first– it is also easy to see a pattern and to finally, finally recognize that none of this is normal, nor is it ok.”
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the DOJ’s Violence Against Women programs.
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the National Endowment for the Arts.
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the National Endowment for the Humanities.
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Minority Business Development Agency.
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Economic Development Administration.
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the International Trade Administration.
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Manufacturing Extension Partnership.
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services.
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Legal Services Corporation.
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Civil Rights Division of the DOJ.
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Environmental and Natural Resources Division of the DOJ.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Overseas Private Investment Corporation.
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Office of Electricity Deliverability and Energy Reliability.
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy.
- On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Office of Fossil Energy.
- On January 20th, 2017, DT ordered all regulatory powers of all federal agencies frozen.
- On January 20th, 2017, DT ordered the National Parks Service to stop using social media after RTing factual, side by side photos of the crowds for the 2009 and 2017 inaugurations.
- On January 20th, 2017, roughly 230 protestors were arrested in DC and face unprecedented felony riot charges. Among them were legal observers, journalists, and medics.
- On January 20th, 2017, a member of the International Workers of the World was shot in the stomach at an anti-fascist protest in Seattle. He remains in critical condition.
- On January 21st, 2017, DT brought a group of 40 cheerleaders to a meeting with the CIA to cheer for him during a speech that consisted almost entirely of framing himself as the victim of dishonest press.
- On January 21st, 2017, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer held a press conference largely to attack the press for accurately reporting the size of attendance at the inaugural festivities, saying that the inauguration had the largest audience of any in history, “period.”
- On January 22nd, 2017, White House advisor Kellyann Conway defended Spicer’s lies as “alternative facts” on national television news.
- On January 22nd, 2017, DT appeared to blow a kiss to director James Comey during a meeting with the FBI, and then opened his arms in a gesture of strange, paternal affection, before hugging him with a pat on the back.
- On January 23rd, 2017, DT reinstated the global gag order, which defunds international organizations that even mention abortion as a medical option.
- On January 23rd, 2017, Spicer said that the US will not tolerate China’s expansion onto islands in the South China Sea, essentially threatening war with China.
- On January 23rd, 2017, DT repeated the lie that 3-5 million people voted “illegally” thus costing him the popular vote.
- On January 23rd, 2017, it was announced that the man who shot the anti-fascist protester in Seattle was released without charges, despite turning himself in.
- On January 24th, 2017, Spicer reiterated the lie that 3-5 million people voted “illegally” thus costing DT the popular vote.
- On January 24th, 2017, DT tweeted a picture from his personal Twitter account of a photo he says depicts the crowd at his inauguration and will hang in the White House press room. The photo is of the 2009 inauguration of 44th President Barack Obama, and is curiously dated January 21st, 2017, the day AFTER the inauguration and the day of the Women’s March, the largest inauguration related protest in history.
- On January 24th, 2017, the EPA was ordered to stop communicating with the public through social media or the press and to freeze all grants and contracts.
- On January 24th, 2017, the USDA was ordered to stop communicating with the public through social media or the press and to stop publishing any papers or research. All communication with the press would also have to be authorized and vetted by the White House.
- On January 24th, 2017, HR7, a bill that would prohibit federal funding not only to abortion service providers, but to any insurance coverage, including Medicaid, that provides abortion coverage, went to the floor of the House for a vote.
- On January 24th, 2017, Director of the Department of Health and Human Service nominee Tom Price characterized federal guidelines on transgender equality as “absurd.”
- On January 24th, 2017, DT ordered the resumption of construction on the Dakota Access Pipeline, while the North Dakota state congress considers a bill that would legalize hitting and killing protestors with cars if they are on roadways.
- On January 24th, 2017, it was discovered that police officers had used confiscated cell phones to search the emails and messages of the 230 demonstrators now facing felony riot charges for protesting on January 20th, including lawyers and journalists whose email accounts contain privileged information of clients and sources.”
Thank you to Mr. Taylor for the information.
In further news, after various government agencies were asked to stop reporting scientific information about the environment numerous alternative twitter feeds for these agencies popped up. I never imagined the National Parks Service would lead the revolution but ladies and gentlemen it certainly has. Follow these alternative feeds for publications about science that the Trump administration cannot stem:
Finally, are you looking for something to do to improve your mind? How about a little light reading courtesy of the Freedom of Information Act? Take a gander on over to the FOIA.Gov site and read through how to make a FOIA request. Since the Trump Administration has put a gag order into place I suggest we help these agencies out.
FOIA requests can cost some research time and reprinting costs however, you may request a waiver of fees. “Under the FOIA, fee waivers are limited to situations in which a requester can show that the disclosure of the requested information is in the public interest because it is likely to contribute significantly to public understanding of the operations and activities of the government and is not primarily in the commercial interest of the requester.”
I would argue that requesting the release of scientific information gathered by our government on the status of our environmental health during a time when the Executive branch has restricted the release of any information falls quite clearing under the requirements for fee waivers.
I keep trying to keep political posts off my FB feed because I am positive people are sick of being inundated with varying degrees of political ranting. However, I can no more remain silent than I can fly. Today as I write this the news is on in the next room and the reporters are discussing the “investigation” the Trump administration is launching to uncover the 3 million illegal votes that cost Trump the election.
Yes. You read me correctly. Now not only do people stand idly by and let President Trump make up whatever facts his fragile ego requires, they also spend taxpayer dollars investigating those obviously facetious claims.
Trump didn’t lose the popular vote to illegals. He lost it to Americans. Real, living, Americans that aren’t going to be comforted by his claims that our voting was illegal.
I am going to write about what happens going forward. We all have the right to speak up, for now, in the country. I advise you to use it. With the administration peddling “alternative facts” and rapidly repealing all environmental protections and casting their eyes upon equal rights, please spread the word of what is actually happening. Now is not the time to be silent.
“It begins with us not with politicians … but with us … the ones who need it most. I believe with everything that’s in me that the whole world is begging for healing, even the trees and the earth its self are crying out for it, you can hear it everywhere. Everyone mix it up, it’s not game over yet, it’s just the beginning, but it’s up to you. I’m calling for every [person] to seize the air. Steal it, it belongs to you. Speak out, they can’t stop you. Find your voice and use it. Keep this going. Pick a name, go on air. It’s your life, take charge of it. Do it, try it, try anything. Spill your guts out and say shit and fuck a million times if you want to, but you decide. Fill the air, steal it. Keep the air alive TALK HARD!!!! – “Pump Up The Volume” (c)1990 New Line Cinema
President Trump. We are watching and Midterms are coming.