A morning in the life of a sleep deprived mother of two…

6:45 a.m — I groggily open my eyes to the soft patting of baby hands on my shirt as my son wakes up to nurse his first greedy nurse of the day. I whisper a cozy “Hey buddy” as he smiles his secret morning smile at me and settles into the blankets for breakfast.

7:00 a.m. — My alarm goes off. I hit the snooze button and go back to nursing my very hungry boy.

7:13 a.m. — Lee’s alarm goes off, he is out of bed and off to the shower while I try to detach from Otter long enough to wake up Monkey. I hop out of bed, gather a warm outfit complete with socks from the bins of neatly folded (yet not quite put away) laundry and wander into her room. I wake her up with some shoulder patting, cover removing, light turning on, voice raising mommy action and get her into the bathroom to wash, brush her teeth, use the potty, and dress.

7:25 a.m. — I head downstairs in my jammies, pack a lunch of whole wheat bagel with nuefchatel cheese, honey crisp apple slices, baby carrots, BabyBel mozzarella cheese wheel, and a juice. I then pour the quasi healthy bowl of breakfast cereal, set it next to a healthy glass of milk, and pile some extra honey crisp apple slices onto a plate.

7:35 a.m. — I head back upstairs to discover Monkey is still on the potty phase of her morning, and is still unwashed, unbrushed, and naked. Sigh. Urge her on to dressing and breakfast. I hop in the shower to spend a few minutes luxuriating in the steamy heat of water, hop out, dry off, brush my teeth, use the potty, and dress, taking a moment to find my clothes in the aforementioned neatly folded piles.

7:50 a.m. — I, somewhat angrily, dress Monkey, as she is still found naked on the potty when I emerge from my bedroom. I then urge her into her shoes and socks while her father changes Otter’s pants. She brushes her teeth while I seek out my shoes and everyone’s jackets, pack her bag for school, and bless my husband for brewing coffee while I was in the shower. I then begin to search for my shoes.

8:05 a.m. — I come down in shoes to find Monkey hastily stuffing apple slices and cereal into her mouth while downing milk. We discuss her unfinished homework, that she happily reported not having on Wednesday, and I explain she is going to have to tell her teacher she forgot to do it and ask if she can hand it in tomorrow.

8:15 a.m. — We load the family into jackets and/or buntings, clasp leashes onto the dogs, and head out into the cold to take a nice family walk before dropping Monkey off at school. Oh yeah, and Monkey mentions our late start is due to me taking too long to get ready. (I count to ten and breathe instead of screaming “ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?”.)

8:25 a.m. — We drop Monkey off at school with hugs and kisses.

8:30 a.m. — We walk the dogs back to the house, I hand off my untouched coffee to Lee for his drive to work, and sit to nurse the baby while drinking coffee, eating a hasty bowl of cereal, and watching Smallville on the DVR.

I remember when I used to complain about having wake up early enough to shower, eat, and dress for work.

HA! I could smack my former self.

2 thoughts on “A morning in the life of a sleep deprived mother of two…”

  1. Whew! I’m exhausted just reading that! Our mornings seem less dramatic with two close in age rather than a baby and a 6 year old… so thank you for that 🙂

  2. You are very welcome, I often take comfort in reading about the madness in other mom’s lives. It is very reassuring.
    Though I bet if you sat down and wrote your morning out, it would look a lot like mine. I had no idea mine was so….. frenetic.

Leave a Reply